Judge Lionel Persey has ruled in favour of Rangers Football Club in the latest round of a long-running legal battle between the club and Sports Direct owner Mike Ashley.
Ashley and Rangers have been embroiled in High Court litigation, centred on a kit deal, for more than a year.
A company in the Sports Direct Group, SDI Retail Services, had complained about Rangers being in breach of obligations under deals relating to replica kit.
The judge said he had ruled in favour of Rangers, following the latest hearing earlier this month in which Rangers’ lawyers asked for the injunction to be relaxed. They said the injunction was hindering Rangers’ ability to deal with a sports clothing company, the Elite Group.
Judge Lionel Persey has now ruled in the club’s favour but SDI say they are considering an appeal.
The same judge had ruled in July that Rangers had breached an agreement but said he had reached no conclusion on how much compensation the club should pay.
Following the most recent ruling, lawyers representing Rangers said SDI should pick up Rangers’ legal bills for the latest round.
SDI agreed in principle because Rangers had won but argued that Rangers had spent too much on lawyers. Their legal bill totalled around £100,000 and suggested that around half of that would be a reasonable figure.
The judge split the difference and said SDI should pay £75,000 worth of the club’s legal bills.
Suffering a dispute can have serious implications on you and your livelihood and reputation. Our business solicitors will quickly and efficiently put your case together and act on your behalf. Call Vijay Srivastava or Shalish Mehta in our civil and commercial litigation department on 0161 624 6811(Option 6) or email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. We can advise you on the appropriate course of action and assist with any legal documents or proceedings that may occur.
Latest posts by Shalish Mehta (see all)
- World Snooker Tour threatens legal action against five of its own players - 13th October 2023
- McLaren seeks at least $23 million in damages from Alex Palou - 9th October 2023
- LIV golfer Patrick Reed files defamation lawsuit against Golf Channel and commentator Brandel Chamblee - 1st October 2023
- HMRC files a bankruptcy petition against former Liverpool and England footballer, John Barnes - 27th September 2023
- Millionaire husband and wife accuse their nephew of ‘stealing’ £4million Kensington mews home - 23rd September 2023