Helping someone when they can no longer deal with their affairs

When a person loses their mental capacity their finances will be frozen and the financial authorities will not be able to accept instructions from anybody else no matter how closely related.

In such circumstances a Deputy can be appointed by the Court of Protection to make decisions and act on behalf of a person who is not able to do so for themselves.

Any willing family member or friend of the person who lacks capacity can apply to be a Deputy. The Court will decide whether the applicant is suitable and has the skills required for the specific tasks they are required to carry out.

A professional Deputy, such as a Solicitor, can be appointed if there is no other suitable or willing person to act or where the family members or friends agree it is more appropriate to appoint someone neutral.

If you would like more information about assisting someone because you feel they can no longer deal with their own affairs please download our free leaflet, by filling in the form below.

Trusts, Wills and Probate Solicitor in Manchester, Oldham and Todmorden

Deputy Information Application Sheet

Deputy Application Information Sheet
Wills and Probate Fixed Fees

To talk to us about supporting someone when they are unable to deal with their affairs please call us for more information:

Manchester Office: 0161 914 9881
Oldham Office: 0161 624 6811
Todmorden Office: 01706 815712

Team Oldham and Manchester: Rachel Damianou, Emma Piszkalo and Jyoti Patel.

Team – Todmorden: Emma Piszkalo, Amelia Ormerod