A small claim is a claim regarding a civil matter which is under £10,000. You can apply to small claims court if you are owed money by a business or an individual and they refuse to pay. For example, you may feel that you have been unfairly treated as a consumer, due to a lack of compensation for faulty goods or for an unreceived refund.
Small claims typically include the following:
- Unpaid debts
- Bad workmanship
- Goods not supplied
- Damage to one’s property
- Wages owed or money in lieu of notice
- Disputes between landlords and tenants e.g. rent arrears or compensation for not doing repairs
- Compensation for faulty goods or services provided
If you go to court for a small claim, you will have to pay a court fee, from £30 to over £100 depending on your claim’s value. Then you might have to pay an hearing fee as well, if the other party denies owing you the money, which is usually of the same amount as the initial amount.
The success of making a claim is not guaranteed so you need to think carefully before starting the process. Going to court should always be a last resort. The court will expect you to have tried to settle the matter through other means before starting any court action. You will have also been expected to warn the other party of the possibility of the court action. However, once you have exhausted these options, if you still feel your situation is worth pursuing a claim in court, we can help you through the process.
At Wrigley Claydon we can deal with the whole process for you to give you peace of mind or alternatively we can help you with parts of the process you are struggling with. You can find all the information about our small claims support in the litigation section of our website. Alternatively, if you wish to pursue another route before taking court action, we offer mediation services to try and settle disputes without the expense and time of taking full legal action. We also offer letter writing services should you be owed money – read more about our debt recovery services here.
Please contact our team on 0161 785 3534 or send us a message through this website if you need help with small claims issues or for more information about what we could do to help you.
Latest posts by Shalish Mehta (see all)
- South Lakeland Council is owed £576,000 - 24th October 2019
- Liverpool FC fail in move to trademark the word ‘Liverpool’ - 9th October 2019
- Rita Ora admits she ‘feared for her career’ during legal battle with her former record label, Roc Nation, which is owned by Jay Z - 26th September 2019
- French international footballer Nabil Fekir’s ex-agent takes legal action against Fekir - 25th September 2019
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain’s third-richest man involved in planning battle - 15th August 2019