January is traditionally one of the busiest months for family law solicitors.
For some people it means the ending of a relationship that has perhaps not been working for a while, if that is you then taking early legal advice can pay dividends later.
Making that first call to get some advice is often the hardest bit so here are a few tips/pointers to help.
- Ask yourself can your marriage or relationship be saved? If you think it could but you might need a bit of help then consider counselling, either alone or together (see talklistenchange.org.uk- previously known as Relate). If, however it cannot then it is time to take some specialist
- Be prepared to answer some basic questions; how long you have been together? Are you are still living together, or have you already separated? Do you have any children? If so, how old they are? Are the arrangements for their future care agreed or do you need help with this? Can you provide broad details of your own and your partners income, savings, other assets (a business perhaps, a holiday home abroad, a family farm?) and pensions?
- Once we know a little bit about you and what you want, we will be able to ensure you get the most appropriate solicitor to help you. The right person for you is as much about their skills and experience (our solicitors have more than 35 years’ experience between them!) as it is feeling comfortable with them.
- The cost of consulting a solicitor is often a worry and can prevent some people taking early advice, we understand this. We offer an initial short free consultation (either by telephone or in the office) after which you decide whether you wish to proceed having understood what it will cost you and how you will fund your case.
Both Rhona and Terri are members of Resolution; an organisation of family justice professionals who work with individuals to reduce/ manage any conflict or confrontation who understand the emotional and financial consequences of a separation and will guide you through the process to get the best outcome for you and your children.
For an initial free, no obligation chat contact us on 0161 624 6811.
Latest posts by Rhona Royle (see all)
- Happy to be an accredited specialist once again! - 12th July 2021
- Is your spouse/partner NOT having a Solicitor a good or bad thing? - 11th June 2021
- Uncoupling in 2021? Aim for an amicable separation - 22nd December 2020
- Relationships: time to move in or out this New Year? - 1st January 2020
- How long does it take to get divorced? Court Delays Increasing - 10th September 2019