Mr Justice Turner threw out the challenge from a claimant in the case of Rashid v Munir & Ors who wanted a share of profits from rental properties run by his brothers after their father’s death.
Of the claimant, he stated: ‘I do not believe him on this or indeed any other material matter’. The first defendant’s evidence was ‘unhelpful’ and the second defendant was ‘as heroically dishonest as he is in his everyday life’. The third defendant was described as giving evidence in a ‘facetious manner’, which included winking at the claimant’s counsel and showing he regarded telling the truth as ‘simply no more than a lifestyle choice’.
The judge added: ‘Attempting to establish the common but unstated intention of a group of individuals all giving honest but conflicting evidence is difficult enough. Where, as here, each witness is attempting to outdo the other in a rich display of competitive dishonesty, the task of the judge is unenviable.’
The judge’s conclusion that the claimant was not entitled to claim a share of the commercial rents was ruled unassailable and the appeal dismissed.
Suffering a financial or contractual dispute can have serious implications on your business. Our business solicitors will quickly and efficiently put your case together and act on your behalf. Call Shalish Mehta in our civil and commercial litigation department on 0161 624 6811 (Option 6) or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can advise you on the appropriate course of action and assist with any legal documents or proceedings that may occur.
Latest posts by Shalish Mehta (see all)
- South Lakeland Council is owed £576,000 - 24th October 2019
- Liverpool FC fail in move to trademark the word ‘Liverpool’ - 9th October 2019
- Rita Ora admits she ‘feared for her career’ during legal battle with her former record label, Roc Nation, which is owned by Jay Z - 26th September 2019
- French international footballer Nabil Fekir’s ex-agent takes legal action against Fekir - 25th September 2019
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain’s third-richest man involved in planning battle - 15th August 2019