Trusts, Wills and Probate

At Wrigley Claydon we have a dedicated and approachable team with many years experience in helping clients prepare wills, powers of attorney and deal with probate, trusts or court of protection matters.

Our team pride themselves on providing good, honest, impartial advice in a professional and sympathetic manner, acting efficiently on your behalf during what can be a difficult and stressful time.

‘Often people see forms on the internet and think ‘Why don’t I do it myself?’ Whilst administering an estate yourself is always an option, I feel it is always better to have a professional do the job. I could do my own decorating but I choose not to, trusting a professional to do it and to do it well.’

Rachel Damianou, Partner


Our Wills and Probate Department are able to help you make a will, should you not already have one, or amend your will should your circumstances change (for instance in the event of a marriage, divorce or separation or the birth of children or grandchildren).

If you haven’t made a Will, the law dictates how your assets must be divided. If you are married or in a civil partnership, your spouse or partner may not inherit all your assets. If you are not married or not in a civil partnership, your partner will not inherit any assets by right and if you are single with no close family, all assets could pass to the state.

By making a Will, you can choose to whom you want to leave your estate as well as appointing guardians to look after any young children should you die whilst they are under 18. By planning ahead, you can ensure that you do not cause unnecessary difficulties for your loved ones.


We pride ourselves as a team on providing good, clear and impartial advice in a professional and sympathetic manner during what can be a difficult time.

Writing a Will should not be left to old age; if you want your assets to go to people and/or charities that you want it to then you must make a Will.

“Probate” is the term generally used to mean the administration of someone’s estate after he or she has died and distributing the estate in accordance with the terms of the Will or the laws of intestacy. If someone dies without making a Will, they are said to have died intestate. In this instance, after funeral costs and debts are paid, the law dictates who will receive your estate.

We can also advise on setting up a Trust to protect your assets.

We can help you with:

  • Wills
  • Probate
  • Trusts
  • Disputed Wills and estates

Disputed Wills and Estates

At Wrigley Claydon we are able to provide assistance in the unfortunate event of a claim against an estate that arises following a bereavement.

Claims can arise for a variety of reasons. Cases we have dealt with in the past include badly worded wills, queries as to the validity of home-made wills and insufficient provision being made for a spouse or partner. Rachel Damianou, partner and senior solicitor in our Probate Department can provide professional and sympathetic assistance at what can be a distressing time.

Power of Attorney

Our Wills and Probate department are able to offer full assistance to clients wishing to appoint a Power of Attorney or Attorneys with immediate effect or in preparation for the event of loss of mental or physical capacity.

Following recent changes in the law, the appointment of an Attorney is a much more complicated procedure than it was previously. It is now possible to appoint an Attorney to act on your behalf in relation to your Property and Affairs and separately in relation to your Personal Welfare by preparing a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Prior to 1st October 2007, a client could complete an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA). Any existing EPA is still valid and can be used. If the donor of the EPA loses mental capacity the EPA must be registered with the Court of Protection; there is a strict procedure to follow. We can help you with this.

For further information or to discuss any concerns you may have, please contact our Probate department on 0161 624 6811 (Option 3).

Court of Protection

Many of us, in our lives, will experience caring for a loved one who is no longer mentally capable of handling their own financial affairs. As you may be aware, as next of kin, you will not be legally able to withdraw money from this person’s account.

We regularly help individuals apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as a Deputy to act on behalf of the incapacitated person.

In this event of an elderly client with no close family or friends prepared to act on his or her behalf, a partner with this firm can be appointed as Deputy.

This is a highly specialised area of work. We have vast experience in this area and can help you through this difficult procedure with professionalism and sensitivity.


The team at Wrigley Claydon have a wealth of experience in dealing with matters related to Trusts.

Trusts are can be created outright or within the terms of a Will, often for Inheritance Tax (tax efficiency) purposes. They are commonly created to make provisions for members of a family including grandchildren and any disabled persons without making an outright gift.


For more information or to speak to one of our specialists within our Wills and Probate Department on 0161 624 6811 (Option 3).

Team: Rachel Damianou and Jyoti Patel.

[uncode_block id=”11597″]