The Intellectual Property (Unjustified Threats) Act 2017 came into force last week. It could help intellectual property owners assert rights more freely. The act curtails a legal remedy available to a party threatened with IP infringement.
From now on parties cannot be held liable for making an ‘unjustified threat’ merely by asserting their ownership. The act also introduces a provision preventing actions from being brought against advisers provided they act on instructions and identify their client in communications.
Professional advisers, including solicitors, who make a ‘threat’ on a right owner’s behalf will no longer be liable for unjustified threats, provided they make it clear they are acting on the instructions of their client.
Intellectual property solicitor
If you have a brand, something you have invented, or an original piece of work that you have written and someone infringes your rights we can help. We can assist you in securing an injunction and/or damages or account of profits and the delivery up and destruction of the offending item. If you have been accused of infringing someone’s intellectual property rights then we can also help by raising various defences and minimising your liability.
If you feel you have an intellectual property case and need some legal advice then please speak to our intellectual property solicitor Shalish Mehta, in our civil and commercial litigation department. Please call us on 0161 785 3534 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Icons made by Freepik from www.flaticon.com is licensed by CC 3.0 BY
Latest posts by Shalish Mehta (see all)
- Ski firm Sunweb faces legal fight over ticket refund plan - 28th May 2020
- Coronavirus: Watchdog threatens legal action on holiday and wedding refunds - 13th May 2020
- ‘Corona divorce’: A Japanese rental firm offers apartments to give couples time apart from their spouses - 30th April 2020
- EasyJet’s founder threatens to sue airline executives - 27th April 2020
- Section on Coronavirus Act 2020 introduced for Landlords - 16th April 2020