When a person loses their mental capacity and they can no longer deal with their own affairs,  their finances will be frozen and the financial authorities will not be able to accept instructions from anybody else no matter how closely related.

This is when a deputy can be appointed by the Court of Protection to make decisions and act on behalf of a person who is not able to do so for themselves, a little like an attorney under a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Any willing family member or a friend of the person who lacks capacity can apply to be a Deputy. The Court will decide whether the applicant is suitable and has the skills required for the specific tasks they are required to carry out.

A professional Deputy, such as a Solicitor, can be appointed if there is no other suitable or willing person to act or where the family members or friends agree it is more appropriate, for example to appoint someone neutral.

If you would like more information about assisting someone because you feel they can no longer deal with their own affairs please take a look at our free download we have prepared for you.
Deputy Application Information Sheet (186 downloads)

To talk to us about supporting someone when they are unable to deal with their affairs by appointing a deputy please call us on 0161 785 3572.

Team: Rachel Damianou and Jyoti Patel.